The easiest way to prepare kontomire stew also known as palava sauce, a very delicious Ghanaian recipe in Ghana.
I show you how to prepare kontomire stew in this recipe guide. Kontomire is one of the healthiest foods you can prepare, there are other names given to the name kontomire, one other popular name is spinach.
To prepare the kontomire stew you will have to have a set of ingredients listed below and follow the 15 easy steps to get a very delicious kontomire stew. Read Below.
Ingredients for how to prepare kontomire stew
- Kontomire Leaves or Spinach (Enough Leaves as you wish to use for the stew)
- 1 canned Tin Tomatoes
- 5 – 6 Fresh Tomatoes
- Palm Oil
- Fish of your choice or meat
- 2 Onion Bulbs
- Fresh Pepper and Powdered Pepper
- Half Cup of Egusi
15 Steps on how to prepare kontomire stew
- After unpacking the kontomire, make sure to wash it in warm or slighly hot water to get rid of the dirt and insects that might be hiding in the leaves, wash thoroughly
- After washing the kontomire, chop the kontomire into bits and put it in a sauce pan with a bit of water
- Chop Onions, Tomatoes, Ginger, garlic, pepper and Blend together
- Pour oil into sauce pan and place it on fire
- After 1 Minute, chop 1 onion and pour it into the saucepan containing the palm oil on fire
- Stir for some minutes and add the canned tomatoes
- Stir for some minutes and add the kobi, leave it to cook for 5 – 8 minutes
- Add the blended Tomatoes, Ginger, garlic, pepper leave it to cook for 5 – 8 minutes
- Add spices such as maggi cubes and seasons
- Add water to Egusi powder and stir into a paste form and then pour into the sauce
- Allow the sauce to cook for sometime and taste as you go
- Add the chopped kontomire into the sauce pan and stir
- Reduce the heat under the sauce and allow to simmer
- Allow it to cook for some minutes and taste as you go
- Add your fish or meat and taste. After some minutes it should be ready so serve
After you get the ingredients listed in this article and follow the 15 steps to prepare your kontomire stew. The taste should be superb. It can be eaten with yam, rice, plantain , kenkey and many more. Enjoy!
Brief Facts About Kontomire
Nkontomire or Kontomire is the name given to Cocoyam leaves in Ghana. Kontomire is also known as spinach, kale or collard in other cultures, it is very rich in Vitamin A and C. The amount of vitamin A in kontomire can be as high as 123% of our daily requirement.It is very good for eyes sight, and helps fight cataract and blindness.
The high dietary fibre in Kontomire leaves helps in food digestion and absorption. Kontomire leaves helps prevent digestive problems like indigestion, diarrhea and constipation.